Katia Moskvitch

“Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.” Frank Zappa.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I don't need a seatbelt, I'll just fly out of the car!

Two things that bothered me the most in Moscow was the total absence of answering machines and people not fastening their seatbelts in cars. And I mean, literally no one uses a seatbelt. When I asked some people why they do it, they answered that it was actually safer not to put a belt on. If you do, in case of an accident you're stuck in the car and die. If you don't, you'll just fly out, breaking the windshield!

People crush and die every day in Russia because they don't wear seatbelts. And still, unless militia starts giving tickets on a regular basis for this, I don't believe anyone will. What is it with Russians?